If you are impacted by a power outage during extreme weather, here is what you need to consider:
- First, check with your power provider to verify the outage in your area. Xcel Energy has an outage status page, as does Poudre Valley REA.
- As soon as a power outage is deemed an emergency, Windsor will activate its emergency shelter plan. The plan includes access to the Windsor Community Recreation Center, 250 N. 11th St., and the center’s amenities (shower, walking track, gym).
- Plan for comfort. Pack a “go bag” and include comfort items such as a towel and washcloth for the shower, blanket and pillow, personal hygiene items, and charging cables and devices. Bring a refillable water bottle.
- Plan for your necessity. Necessity items should be included in your “go bag” and should include anything that ensures any special dietary and medical needs are met.
- Pets are not allowed at the local warming shelter. Consider and plan for alternate placement as you feel necessary.
- At home the, close all blinds and curtains to keep heat inside the home.
- During extreme cold weather, open under-sink cabinets and trickle water from faucets to keep pipes adjacent to exterior walls from bursting.
If you choose to stay home during an outage, make sure you only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
Residents are encouraged to read the FEMA fact sheet: Staying Safe During a Power Outage.
When an outage occurs, Town officials will partner with the power company and other supporting agencies until power is 100% restored.